Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Church League Softball

I have a suggestion to anyone who thinks that they are some sort of athlete; don't wait twenty years in between games! I played my first softball game in twenty years on a very cold (40 degrees) and windy night with a group of guys I had never played with before. There were too many players so I sat out the first two innings and then got the chance to play. I struck out. In slow pitch softball striking out is the equivalent and swimming without getting wet; it's call slow pitch for a reason. My next at bat I grounded out. It is a church league so no one told me I sucked or gave me advice, "hold the bat higher" or "just swing dummy" so I left not feeling terrible and awfully glad we won the game so that my two outs didn't matter. After twenty years of not playing, primarily because no one asked me, I'm glad to be part of a team again even if I only play just a little bit. My last experience at age 19 was more of a drinking league then one where you pray before the game. When I was young and dumb I just thought drinking was part of the game and didn't know that you actually needed to be able to run to first if you got a hit. Also back then when it was tournament time our "coach" would find ringers to play so that he could win. Today it's going to be 80, up 40 degrees from yesterday, UP weather at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment